Saturday, September 12, 2009

Order ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life


I was surprised to see the ASUS I got was slower than the ones I "tested" at the local "big box store" and this version was suppose to have the updated CPU.

As configured out of the box, performance was adequate, with a few anoyances: Opening windows such as "My Computer" took several seconds and web surfing was noticably slow.

I tweaked the parameters a bit, (maybe this is what the local stores do to thier demos?) and got marginal improvement.

I was planning on upgrading this little guy anyways, so waited the few days for my 2G RAM and 7200RPM Westwern digital drive to arrive.

With 2GB ram, and the Western Digital 7200rpm HD, this little guy performs quite nicely. I have installed WIndows 7 RC and it runs perfect as well with no issues and full "Aero" interface. Web surfing is just fine now as well. The Eee can also run any MS application I install on it with no issues. (Office 2008, MS Project, Visio etc.)

Key board size took all of 20 minutes to get use to and feels quite normal now.

Battery life is litterally amazing. During daily "use" is lasted over 11 hours (based on "stop and go" usage thruout the day. As the Eee will go into a sleep mode. With the faster Hard drive, battery life so far has been approximately 9 hours+. In real world terms, I have yet to sharge the battery this week (use only 20-30 minutes at a time some days, other days 5 minutes)and still have over 50% battery left.

Be cautious about what memory you upgrade with. I purchaced the recommended memory, and it was horrible slow. I swapped the stick with the 2GB stick in my other Eee (8.9" screen bought for my daughter) and hers worked just fine in mine and mine in hers. So all was well.

Before upgrades I would have given this a 2 or 3 (probably even sent it back) but with the upgrades (I was doing anyways) I rate it a 4. Would have been a 5 had it not needed the updates to boost performance to a acceptable level.

Get more detail about ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment