Friday, September 25, 2009

Low Price ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life


The first unit that I received displayed a blue screen of death when I turned it on. I sent it back to Amazon the next day. (It was picked at my house by UPS free of charge... Amazon, thank you for great service!)

The second one works arrived a week later. This line's Linux past is quite apparent. The computer is one of the most Linux friendly laptops I have ever had. Even with a "minimalistic" distribution like Arch the installation went very smooth. No need to download extra drivers or recompile the kernel. (Yes, I know that with Ubuntu an easy installation is the case for almost any hardware but Ubuntu is not my cup of tea). Since I use Linux and a lean window manager (Xmonad), 1GB of memory is plenty, OS + X taking only 6% of RAM.

The battery life is incredible! A couple of years ago you had to buy a $2,000 dollar notebook if you wanted its battery to lasts 6-9 hours. The touchpad's gestures are extremely cool under Windows (check out the mouse settings). But even under Linux two-finger vertical scrolling works very well right out of the box.

All in all, it's an excellent Linux (and Windows) computer for just $384... I took of one star off for ASUS' poor quality control (probably they never even tried to turn the defective computer on). I was lucky to have bought mine from Amazon, since, as I heard, dealing with ASUS customer support is hell. Get more detail about ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment