Monday, September 14, 2009

Low Price ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life


This has been the pleasant surprise purchase of the year for me. I bought the ASUS EEEPC 1000HE about 2 months ago needing a more compact and portable laptop. My other laptop is a 3 year old Dell 15" Inspiron. It was great when my desktop was still living but since it died, I ended up anchoring my laptop with all sorts of externals and devices. So that brings me around to the EEEPC.

I did quite a bit of research into what I wanted in a netbook and the EEEPC stood out as a great value that was very highly reviewed. The obvious positive features are the 6-cell battery, Bluetooth, and 160 GB hard drive when compared to competition. The battery last a good 5 hrs plus when i really had it out. I'm a charging freak when it comes to my battery devices so I probably haven't really pushed the envelope. I am also a huge fan of the multi touch track pad. The two finger scrolling works great and saves valuable track pad space. I'm so used to it, I often find myself disappointed when using my older Dell's track pad. The keyboard actually feels pretty good too. Not too small and having the important keys in their natural position is a huge plus. Screen size is plenty as well.

With the 2Gb memory upgrade (also a great deal and a snap to install thanks to YouTube vids), the system performs beautifully as long as you keep the demand fairly modest. I generally only keep a few apps open but it's easy to forget and crowd the taskbar with apps. If you do happen to get carried away, the EEEPC will quickly remind you that you're on a Netbook.

On to the complaints, which are fairly modest. Now that I'm considering paying for a wireless broadband subscription, it would be nice to have that card internal as with the Dell and HPs. Not a factor when I originally bought it, but anytime you can free up a USB the better. The fact that it has 3 already and Bluetooth tends to mitigate this disadvantage.

The biggest disappointment has been the movie playing capability. There's no doubt that the 10inch netbook is much nicer for travel and opening in those tiny airplane seats but the fact that I can't watch movies downloaded from iTunes is nothing short of a bummer. I'm not a computer buff so I don't know if that was even a reasonable expectation from a netbook but nevertheless I was disappointed that the movies couldn't play without freezing.

In a perfect world, it would also have a few multimedia keys but I'm more than happy with my purchase under 4 bills.Get more detail about ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment