Saturday, September 19, 2009

Discount ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life


This is my first netbook, and it certainly won't be my last. I purchased two of these for my anniversary this year and was surprised at the actual capabilities of this little guy.

I'll answer the questions I wasn't able to get answered before I purchased:

1. Yes, I can run Photoshop CS3. It's a little slow, but it works well and has plenty of space with the 160GB HD. I do recommend the 2GB RAM upgrade. Photoshop CS and Photoshop 7 run flawlessly.

2. Windows 7 runs better than Windows XP on this machine.

3. I've had no problem viewing DOWNLOADED video. Streaming HD from YouTube is mildly choppy. I connected this to my TV and we watched HQ video from other sites with no lag. I suggest investing in a portable DVD Drive, too.

4. I can play most games that don't require 3D acceleration. Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, GTA 2, and every Flash based game I've installed have played just fine. I also use a bluetooth gamepad and play emulated NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. I won't even bother trying N64. Lots of fun to hook to the TV and play all these old games.

5. Resolution emulation leaves a LOT to be desired. The default resolution is just fine for most applications, though.

6. Office 2k7 Pro runs fine. I recommend setting the ribbon to "Auto Hide" for more working area.

7. Install Stanza and Foxit Reader. Install EEERotate. Turn this bad boy on its side and you've got an ebook device with a color screen that can do 100x more than a Kindle...Yes, I still want a Kindle DX, but this 1000HE will suffice until the prices drop. :)

8. My average battery life is about 8 hours. I've gone just over the 9.5 a few times, but usually I'm right at 7 hours. I've got the screen brightness turned all the way down and I use headphones rather than internal speakers. Running WinXP, I averaged 6.5 hours of battery life. Windows 7 really improved that for me.

9. iTunes is SLOW..I don't know why, but it lags constantly. After you install it, just don't use it. Use SharePod to manage your iPods. MediaMonkey runs very well and can manage your files. WinAMP, unfortunately, eats away too much CPU to use comfortably with large playlists and visuals.

This is a fantastic computer. It completely replaced my 17in HP DV9000US for my needs. Everyone needs one. My wife, who hates computers, really enjoys using her blue 1000HE. I love my black one.

Definitely get a leather-bound "executive" book-styled case. Get an external DVD burner. Get on ebay and find the nifty "brushed metal" keyboard skin.Get more detail about ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment